Star Fruit Chutney
At the Malaysian Food & Fruits event, I had the most memorable Durian fruit tasting, but the fruit that truly won my heart, was the star fruit. A delicious sweet and sour, star shaped fruit which is juicy, chewy and fresh. I love eating this fruit with just salt or on its own. The flavors of the star fruit that I received in my goodie bag, inspired me to make a chutney. It’s so good to have it with a plain roti, rice and Red Lentil Dal or just with a slice of Parmesan cheese on toast. So, go treat yourself on a delicious chutney!
Star Fruit Chutney
- Prep: 10 min
- Total: 35-45 min
- 2 Star Fruits (cut into pieces and leave a few slices for fun)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 chili pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 piece (½ cm) of ginger
- 2 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Nigella seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 200 gr sugar
- 50 ml vinegar
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp salt
This recipe is inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Mango Chutney
- Chop the star fruit into cubes. Then mince the garlic + ginger and finely cut the chili pepper. Set this aside.
- Then lightly toast the whole spices (cardamom, coriander and cumin seeds) until fragrant and add them to a pestle and mortar. Crush them with the chili pepper and turmeric powder. Set this aside.
- Then add the vinegar and sugar to a large pan over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and reduce by a couple of centimeters. After the solution has reduced add the chopped star fruit, nigella seeds, spice mix from the pestle and mortar and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat and add the garlic, ginger, chili and let the concoction simmer for 30 minutes until it has a thick and syrupy consistency. Finally, add the chopped chili and lemon juice for the last 10 minutes. Then transfer the chutney to sterilized jars and keep up to 6 months in the fridge.
- Serve with bread and cheese or have it with a roti, paratha or rice and Red Lentil Dal.
If you make my recipes please tag me in them and use #thespicedchickpearecipes. I'd love to see what you've made!