Meat Sauce w/ Chicken Mince
My Meat Sauce w/ Chicken Mince recipe is my personal favourite for when I want a hearty meal that’s comforting and will sooth my soul. The sauce is packed with delicious Italian spices, garlic and has an intense “tomatoey” flavour. I have to eat this sauce with fresh pasta and for me it has to be linguine (not so authentic). That’s my way of ultimate joy!
>>In need for another linguine dish? My Creamy Linguine w/ Chestnut Mushrooms is also hard to resist. Make it now!
Meat Sauce w/ Chicken Mince
- Prep: 10 min
- Total: 45 min
NOTE: this recipes serves 3 to 4 persons
- 350 gr chicken mince
- ½ cup grated carrot (finely cut into cubes)
- ½ cup red bell pepper (finely cut into cubes)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- half an onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 tbsp of Italian dried herbs or 1/4 tsp each of fresh herbs such as thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano
- 3-4 few basil leaves (finely shredded)
- a handful of parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp of Pimenton
- ½ tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup pasta water (you’ll use about ¾ cup)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese + extra for serving
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- grated Parmesan cheese
- penne pasta, linguine, spaghetti (3-4 portions)
- Prepare your vegetables by finely chopping or mincing and set this aside. Then cook your pasta according to the package instructions and reserve about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add oil to your pan and add your chopped onions and carrots. When the onions are translucent and carrots are softened then add your mince and cook until brown and crispy (this will give your sauce extra flavour) and takes about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Then add your canned tomatoes, tomato paste and red bell pepper. Mix well and finely add the fresh or dried herbs, Pimenton, chili powder (optional) and ¾ cup pasta water. Let the meat sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes on a medium to low heat. And 5 minutes on a high heat until the sauce has thickened.
- After 25-30 minutes add the Parmesan cheese and salt & pepper to taste. You can also had some fresh chopped parsley to liven up the sauce.
N.B: If the sauce is too thick add a few tablespoons of pasta water. If the sauce is too runny let it cook for another 5 minutes on a medium to high heat.
- Spoon the sauce over the cooked pasta or add a few spoons of sauce over the pasta to flavor it first (like the Italians do) and then add the sauce. Enjoy!
- Use this sauce for your lasagna.
- Need more vegetables in your meat sauce? Then add chopped zucchini, eggplant or mushrooms.
- Make Sloppy Italian Style Joe’s and serve this Meat Sauce on toasted buns topped with Mozzarella cheese. You can also put the buns under the grill so the Mozzarella cheese can melt. Top it off with some fresh basil and ya done!
If you make my recipes please tag me in them and use #thespicedchickpearecipes. I'd love to see what you've made!