Copycat Egg McMuffin!
My younger brother and my dad are a huge fan of McDonald’s Egg McMuffin. We just love the cheese and egg combo on toasted muffins, but don’t always feel like going out to get them… So, whenever I visit my parents we make them ourselves for a yummy breakfast treat. And since most groceries stores like Lidl sell mature cheddar cheese and bakeries sell these English style muffins, it’s as easy as it gets!
At my parents home we make our Egg McMuffins without the meat patty, but instead add grilled turkey slices from Albert Heijn. It tastes amazing! Of course you can substitute the turkey for bacon, beef/pork slices or Canadian ham. But since we don’t eat that, the grilled turkey slices really add some extra flavour!
Are you a fan of the famous Egg McMuffin? If you’re not convinced yet, then I do hope you’ll make these for your family!
Copycat Egg McMuffin!
- Prep: 5 min
- Total: 25 min
NOTE: this recipe serves 3 hungry persons or 6 people.
- 6 organic eggs
- 6 English muffins (mine were Dutch “Beschuitbollen” from Bakkerij Rodenrijs)
- 6 slices of mature cheddar cheese (I got my cheese from Lidl) or American cheese (the one you use for burgers)
- 6 slices of grilled/smoked Turkey (optional, my slices were “Kalkoen Rollade” from Albert Heijn. Use turkey or any sliced meat from an Arabic/Turkish store for a Halal version)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- a pinch of chili powder (optional)
- 6 ramekins or muffin tray
- a bit of oil
- chopped chives (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175 C or 350 F. Grease your ramekins or muffin tray with oil. Make sure it’s well greased so the egg won’t stick.
- Add 1 egg in each ramekin or muffin tray hole. Poke the yolk and season with a pinch of garlic powder and salt & pepper/chili powder.
- Bake the eggs for 10-15 minutes depending on the heat of your oven. After baking remove the eggs with a spatula. If the eggs are stuck on the side, loosen them gently with a knife.
- In the meantime toast your muffin buns in a toaster or pan. Grease the bottom of the muffin with butter and place one slice of cheddar. When the eggs are done place them on the slices of cheddar and finish with a slice of Turkey (optional). If you want a bit of colour on these buns then garnish with chopped chives
- Bring these Egg McMuffins to work or a picnic. They keep well when wrapped in baking sheet paper.
- Freeze them by wrapping them in baking sheet paper and let them thaw before you pop them in the microwave for 45-60 sec.
If you make my recipes please tag me in them and use #thespicedchickpearecipes. I'd love to see what you've made!