- Prep: 15 min
- Total: 45 min
NOTE: This recipes serves one person but double the quantities for more portions.
- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken thighs (you can choose to remove the bone, but I preferred it whole)
- 3 shallots or 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (I used the long ones)
- 1 tsp chili powder (use according to your taste or leave out)
- 2 garlic cloves (paste or minced)
- 1 ½ tbsp Pimenton (smoked pepper powder)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 200 ml heavy cream or ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup water
- ½ (chicken) stock cube for flavour or salt & pepper to taste
N.B: You can freeze your leftover sauce and below (read: TIPS) I'll tell you how you can recycle this into another recipe.
For garnish (optional):
- chili flakes
- fresh chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper and garlic powder and brown it in some butter and oil. You want some good colour on both sides and it’s ok if the chicken isn’t fully cooked. This takes about 5 minutes on medium heat. Remove chicken afterwards.
- In the same pan add the chopped shallots, red bell pepper, garlic paste, tomatoes and dried spices. Cook this for about 5 minutes on medium heat until the ingredients are soft.
- Then add your cream and water and let the sauce cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken back in the pan and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
N.B: I transferred my sauce into a blender first, because I wanted a smooth sauce. This is optional.
- I served my chicken over rice and added some sauteed Pak Choy for greens. But originally this is eaten with noodles/pasta and no veggies. Finish it off with some extra peper and enjoy!
- Brown some sausage meat (1 or 2 sausages) with some onion + garlic in a pan, then add cherry tomatoes, basil leaves or Italian herbs, salt & pepper and your leftover sauce (this should be about a cup) through it. Finally, add some cooked pasta of your choice and you have a delicious pasta dinner! If the sauce is too thick, loosen it up with some pasta water.
- Want to veganize this dinner: substitute the cream for a plant based version and add vegan chicken (make sure to fry this according the package instructions first).
If you make my recipes please tag me in them and use #thespicedchickpearecipes. I'd love to see what you've made!